The most valuable coin had another encouraging week, as it emerged from a brief but violent correction, just to reach new highs towards the end of the week, draining capital from altcoins. The total value of the market is stagnating near the all-time high, but BTC crossed the $100 billion mark as it surged past the $6000 price level, controlling 58% of the market.
With the long-term MACD clearly being overbought, and as the long-term target has been hit, investors should now be looking for exit points, even as the short-term uptrend is intact. The range projection target of the recent correction is found at $7000, but correction risks are already high, and only small positions should be kept in the current setup.
BTC/USD, Daily Chart Analysis
Most of the major altcoins are trading in narrow ranges this weekend after a slightly bearish week, as the optimism surrounding Ethereum’s major update faded and the second largest coin re-entered its previous range.
Litecoin, Dash, and Monero are still looking encouraging despite the lengthy correction, while the recently, while the relatively weak Ethereum Classic IOTA continue to show worrying signs. As the Bitcoin long trade is getting stretched, let’s see the how the daily charts of the altcoins are shaping up.
ETH/USD, Daily Chart Analysis
Ethereum reversed its pre-Byzantium gains and dipped briefly below $300 amid the early-week correction but it recovered to the prior trading range, and remains bullish regarding the long-term picture. We still expect the coin to test the $380 level in the coming weeks, and only a break below the rising trendline would change the long-term setup. Support is still found at $300, $285, and $250 while resistance is ahead between $330 and $350.
LTC/USD, Daily Chart Analysis
Litecoin also fell sharply during the dip, and it is back below the previous trend channel, despite showing relative strength during the rebound. The coin still faces strong resistance near $64, but we expect the long-term rising trend to prevail, although more sideways price action is possible before a move towards the all-time high, especially if BTC enters a correction soon. Crucial support levels are still found at $56, $51, and near the $44 level.
XRP/USDT, Daily Chart Analysis
Ripple had a very volatile week after the break-out attempt that tested our primary target at $0.30, but failed at the crucial level. The coin fell all the way back to the initial break-out level after exiting the short-term trend, and although the long-term setup is still bullish, more volatile consolidation is now likely. Support levels are found just below the $0.20 level, near $0.18 and $0.16, while resistance is ahead around $0.22 and $0.26.
DASH/USD, Daily Chart Analysis
Dash remained very calm amid the volatile moves in the segment and it continues to trade in the correction pattern that developed after the August rally. The coin is well inside the long-term uptrend and we expect the advance to resume with no durable move below the current range, but the short-term picture is still only neutral. Long-term support is found at 4265, while key resistance is ahead at $360 and near $400.
ETC/USD, Daily Chart Analysis
Ethereum Classic is trading below the $11 level again after struggling throughout the week, and failing to move above short-term resistance at $12.50. The coin is far from a short-term buy signal, as it is stuck in a downtrend, but the long-term picture is not decisively bearish, and a recovery is likely, with the current price levels still being attractive for investors. Crucial support is found at $9, while resistance is ahead around $13.50 and $16.
XMR/USD, Daily Chart Analysis
Monero has been closely correlated in recent days with Dash once again, although it outperformed its closest peer last week. The coin is trading in a very narrow range between the strong levels near $80 and $100, with the long-term picture still being very positive for investors. We still expect a strong leg higher following the consolidation, with targets at $100, $125, and around $150 and support below $80 near the $68 level.
IOTA/USD, Daily Chart Analysis
IOTA remained under surprisingly strong selling pressure throughout the week, and contrary to our expectations it failed to recover above the $0.45 level, as the short-term downtrend is still intact. The coin is currently testing the key $0.35 level, and a move below that would warn of further weakness, although the long-term picture is still encouraging for now. Above the $0.45-$0.48 zone, further targets are ahead at $0.56 and $0.64.
How to Use These Charts?
As we stressed in our article on Bitcoin: “…not all strategies are binary (either holding an asset or not).There are many long- and short-term investment and trading strategies that can be successful in a roaring bull market like the one that the crypto-coin segment is experiencing, but mixing the time-frames and mixing trading and investing (see our article on the topic) could lead to troubles.”
Here is a reminder of some of the possible strategies once again:
- Buy and hold, without caring about day-to-day (or even month-month) fluctuations
- Buy and hold a core position and add on the major dips; a very powerful strategy
- Buy a certain amount every week or month, and even-out your entry price, without the hassle of timing the market
- Try to catch major turning points to reduce and “re-boost” your position
- Trade short-term movements with stop-losses, targets, and strict risk management (this is trading not investing)”
Featured image from Shutterstock
Technical Analysis: Litecoin Continues Surge as Bitcoin Tests Highs
With the crypto world being focused on the historical futures launch, the major coins all enjoyed buying following a hectic weekend, and a volatile week as a whole. BTC itself got another boost from the widespread publicity and the volatile correction of the recent days ended, with the most valuable coin bouncing back towards its all-time high.
While the long-term picture remains severely overbought, the short-term picture is not stretched and further gains are possible even amid the elevated correction risk. That said, investors should wait for a more favorable entry point to ad dot their holdings, while traders should control position sizes in the light of the long-term setup. Major support levels are now near $13,000, $11,300, and $10,000, with stronger levels still at $8200 and $7700.
BTC/USD, 4-Hour Chart Analysis
The major altcoins are all up today, but only Monero and Litecoin are still within short-term uptrends, and the segment as a whole is still dangerously overextended, and a deeper correction is very likely in the coming weeks. LTC continued its recent break-out, getting close to the $200 level, and joining the extremely overbought group regarding the long-term momentum, and triggering a long-term sell signal in our trend model. Key support levels are found $100 at $75 and $64, with a weaker primary level at $125.
LTC/USD, 4-Hour Chart Analysis
Long-Term Analysis of the Silver Market
The silver market has once again caught investors’ interest as the price is nearing areas not seen since late 2008.
2017 started at a low point for silver, and it seems it will end the year that way as well, meaning investors who bought at the beginning of the year haven’t suffered nor gained much.
This doesn’t mean, however, that the price hasn’t moved during the year. After the low start of the year, silver quickly tacked on about 18% to a top of $17.50 per ounce.
In terms of fundamentals in the silver market, things look a bit complicated for 2018. There are multiple forces pulling in different directions for the price of silver going forward:
- A sharp stock market correction can be expected to occur some time in 2018. Most likely, this will happen sooner rather than later. Stock market crashes always trigger a flight to safety, meaning gold, silver, and quite possibly bitcoin, can benefit.
- We are seeing signs that inflation may be starting to rise again, although this is not confirmed yet. Rising inflation is always good for precious metals.
- If the US federal budget deficit widens as a result of the new tax reform, the US dollar may suffer as a consequence. Goldman Sachs put out a note to investors in November 2017 saying that the US debt is “on track” to reach an “unsustainable” level in coming years. Fed Chair Janet Yellen has also said about the US debt that it is “the type of thing that should keep people awake at night.” Rising debt levels creates uncertainty about the economy, which is generally good for gold and silver.
- Central banks around the world seem committed to raise interest rates in 2018. Rising interest rates are bad for precious metals because it would make it more attractive to put money in the bank.
- The cryptocurrency bull market is on track to continue, diverting attention and capital away from precious metals as a traditional store of value. However, this one is uncertain, as it may also be considered a positive in the way that the rise of cryptocurrencies brings the inflationary and unsustainable nature of fiat currencies into focus.
- The US dollar may have hit a bottom in 2017 and trade higher compared to other major fiat currencies going into 2018. A stronger dollar is always bad for precious metals, which are priced in dollars.
When looking at the chart, we can see that silver is back down to were it started the year, which coincides with a major support area where it has turned several times in the past few years.
From a technical perspective, silver has been trading in a triangle pattern on the longer-term weekly chart, with the price now trading very near the lower end of the triangle, adding confluence to our bias that silver will trade up from here.
Silver failed to live up to our prediction from early 2017, and is now even trading well below the level from that time.
A low price by any measure combined with two major technical support levels adds confidence to our trade and makes silver a low risk and potentially high reward trade for 2018.
Depending on your own strategy and investment style, you may want to wait for the price to break out from the current triangle pattern it has been trading in for the past year and a half. You would then give up some of the potential return for an even safer trade. After that, major resistance is found around $17.50 and $18, with lots of upside potential if we can finally break through those levels.
Featured image from Pixabay.
Long-Term Cryptocurrency Analysis: Look Out Below?
After last week’s observation that a major top is in or near in the segment, the Bitcoin surge continued for almost a week, with Thursday’s wild session taking the coin as high as $19,000 (the article uses Bitstamp prices) on some exchanges. While the currency already pulled back by more than 20% the long-term picture is still extremely overbought and a much deeper correction is likely in the coming weeks.
BTC spiked below $13,000 today, violating the primary weak support at $13,300, with further levels now at $11,300, $10,000 and $9000, but stronger support only found at $8200 and $7700. Next week’s futures launch could cause another jump in trading activity, and volatility is expected to remain very high amid the likely correction.
BTC/USD, Daily Chart Analysis
While not all altcoins participated in the, supposedly, last part of the rally, IOTA, Monero, and towards the end of the week Litecoin, also stretched above all conventional targets with IOTA also turning exponential after a deal with Microsoft. The coin exploded by more than 350% before entering an initial sharp correction, breaking the steepest short-term uptrend. Strong support is only found at $3 and $1.5, but potential Fibonacci support is at $2.35.
IOT/USD, Daily Chart Analysis
Let’s see how the long-term charts of the other altcoins look after the crazy week.
- Companies are Lining Up to Launch Bitcoin ETF, According to SEC December 12, 2017
- Technical Analysis: Litecoin Continues Surge as Bitcoin Tests Highs December 11, 2017
- Trade Recommendation: Ride ETN and EW on Breakout December 11, 2017
- Trade Recommendation: Buy BBY, ZNH, CLX, and USCR December 11, 2017
- Power Consumption for Bitcoin Mining Is Now Ranked 61st in the World December 11, 2017
- Trade Recommendation: USDCHF December 11, 2017
- ICO Analysis: Gimmer Token December 11, 2017
- Swiss Banks Join Forces to Launch Ethereum Platform December 11, 2017
- Trade Recommendation: Stellar December 11, 2017
- Welcome to the Party December 11, 2017
A part of CCN
Analysis1 week ago
Long-Term Cryptocurrency Analysis: A Major Top Could Be In
Altcoins1 week ago
IOTA Doing Big Things as Microsoft Partnership Announced
Recommendations3 days ago
Trade Recommendation: Litecoin
Analysis2 days ago
Long-Term Cryptocurrency Analysis: Look Out Below?
Cryptocurrencies1 week ago
Trade Recommendation: Neo
Analysis7 days ago
$100 Litecoin Looks Poised for Greater Upside
Cryptocurrencies1 week ago
Trade Recommendation: Zcash
Cryptocurrencies3 days ago
Trade Recommendation: Stellar