Monday Market Recap
|Asset||Current Value||Daily Change|
|WTI Crude Oil||51.08||0.73%|
European stocks continue to underperform their global peers so far today, as the recent strength of the Euro weighs on local equities. Angela Merkel told the press that the common currency is “too weak”, blaming the European Central Bank, and that gave another boost to the Euro this morning, while pushing the DAX and the Eurostoxx 50 slightly lower. The major US indices are virtually unchanged, holding just below their recovery-highs from last week, while Asian stocks are also weak, as the Chinese market turned lower after the weekend.
Global sentiment is still mostly positive towards risk assets, which is confirmed by the Japanese Yen’s downward drift, as the main safe-haven asset is losing ground against risk-on currencies. Gold is surprisingly strong despite the stable conditions, holding up well above the $1250 level after last week’s strong rally. Crude oil is up once again today, as the WTI contract now breached the $51 per barrel level before Wednesday’s crucial OPEC meeting. Copper and other industrial metals are diverging from the Chinese market since Friday, and that also shows that tensions have eased temporarily concerning the country’s financial system.
The cryptocurrency market has another outstanding session, with Ethereum stealing the show so far, although Bitcoin is also flying high clearing the $2100 level. ETH is up by a remarkable 40%, getting close to the $200 mark, while its market capitalization reached the $17 billion level. Ethereum Classic is following its younger brother with a $35 gain, while NEM is up by double digits as well. Bytecoin surged past Monero and Stellar regarding size today, as it was up by 60% at one point while closing in on Dash as well in the process. Ripple continues its deep correction, as it trades near the $0.30 level once again after a failed break-out attempt, while Litecoin also fell back below $25.
Ethereum, 4-Hour Chart Analysis
The Chinese market experienced an oversold bounce during last week, as it turned higher off the key 3000 level after a long period of relative weakness. The bounce ran into strong resistance soon, and the benchmark lost ground today, dipping below the primary short-term support near 3085. A re-test of the 3000 level is possible later this week, especially if last week’s risk-off environment returns later on. The MACD indicator got back into neutral territory thanks to the recovery, but it’ snow close to providing a bearish signal once again. The 3110 resistance is the key for bulls right now, with further supply found near 3150.
SHANGHAI Composite, 4-Hour Chart Analysis
Key Economic Releases on Monday
Key Economic Releases on Tuesday
|10:00||GERMANY||IFO Business Climate||113.1||112.9|
|16:00||US||New Home Sales||611,000||621,000|
Technical Analysis: Bitcoin Grinds Higher as Records Tumble in Altcoins
The historical surge in the segment, which is the second such move this year, continued today, with another round of break-outs in some of the major altcoins and tepid gains for BTC investors. Ethereum, Ripple, Dash, and first and foremost Litecoin was leading the charge, with the recent star LTC topping $300, just after a day of hitting the $200 mark.
Litecoin defied all odds after reaching extremely overbought readings, and the coin rode the speculative wave, turning exponential, not unlike IOTA and Bitcoin previously. With the coin being stretched in an unprecedented way on all time-frames, investors could even consider selling their core positions at the current levels, as a deep correction is almost granted in the coming period. The first meaningful support level is found at $125, and a re-test of the $100 level is probable during the next major correction.
LTC/USD, 4-Hour Chart Analysis
Ripple finally ended a long period of relative weakness today, and the only major on a long-term by signal jumped over primary resistance at $0.26 and crossed the $0.30-$0.32 too in the euphoric sentiment. As the coin is not long-term overbought following the 6-month long consolidation, the buy signal in XRP remains intact, with the only major resistance level being found at the all-time high near $0.425.
XRPUSDT/USD, 4-Hour Chart Analysis
Technical Analysis: Litecoin Continues Surge as Bitcoin Tests Highs
With the crypto world being focused on the historical futures launch, the major coins all enjoyed buying following a hectic weekend, and a volatile week as a whole. BTC itself got another boost from the widespread publicity and the volatile correction of the recent days ended, with the most valuable coin bouncing back towards its all-time high.
While the long-term picture remains severely overbought, the short-term picture is not stretched and further gains are possible even amid the elevated correction risk. That said, investors should wait for a more favorable entry point to ad dot their holdings, while traders should control position sizes in the light of the long-term setup. Major support levels are now near $13,000, $11,300, and $10,000, with stronger levels still at $8200 and $7700.
BTC/USD, 4-Hour Chart Analysis
The major altcoins are all up today, but only Monero and Litecoin are still within short-term uptrends, and the segment as a whole is still dangerously overextended, and a deeper correction is very likely in the coming weeks. LTC continued its recent break-out, getting close to the $200 level, and joining the extremely overbought group regarding the long-term momentum, and triggering a long-term sell signal in our trend model. Key support levels are found $100 at $75 and $64, with a weaker primary level at $125.
LTC/USD, 4-Hour Chart Analysis
Long-Term Analysis of the Silver Market
The silver market has once again caught investors’ interest as the price is nearing areas not seen since late 2008.
2017 started at a low point for silver, and it seems it will end the year that way as well, meaning investors who bought at the beginning of the year haven’t suffered nor gained much.
This doesn’t mean, however, that the price hasn’t moved during the year. After the low start of the year, silver quickly tacked on about 18% to a top of $17.50 per ounce.
In terms of fundamentals in the silver market, things look a bit complicated for 2018. There are multiple forces pulling in different directions for the price of silver going forward:
- A sharp stock market correction can be expected to occur some time in 2018. Most likely, this will happen sooner rather than later. Stock market crashes always trigger a flight to safety, meaning gold, silver, and quite possibly bitcoin, can benefit.
- We are seeing signs that inflation may be starting to rise again, although this is not confirmed yet. Rising inflation is always good for precious metals.
- If the US federal budget deficit widens as a result of the new tax reform, the US dollar may suffer as a consequence. Goldman Sachs put out a note to investors in November 2017 saying that the US debt is “on track” to reach an “unsustainable” level in coming years. Fed Chair Janet Yellen has also said about the US debt that it is “the type of thing that should keep people awake at night.” Rising debt levels creates uncertainty about the economy, which is generally good for gold and silver.
- Central banks around the world seem committed to raise interest rates in 2018. Rising interest rates are bad for precious metals because it would make it more attractive to put money in the bank.
- The cryptocurrency bull market is on track to continue, diverting attention and capital away from precious metals as a traditional store of value. However, this one is uncertain, as it may also be considered a positive in the way that the rise of cryptocurrencies brings the inflationary and unsustainable nature of fiat currencies into focus.
- The US dollar may have hit a bottom in 2017 and trade higher compared to other major fiat currencies going into 2018. A stronger dollar is always bad for precious metals, which are priced in dollars.
When looking at the chart, we can see that silver is back down to were it started the year, which coincides with a major support area where it has turned several times in the past few years.
From a technical perspective, silver has been trading in a triangle pattern on the longer-term weekly chart, with the price now trading very near the lower end of the triangle, adding confluence to our bias that silver will trade up from here.
Silver failed to live up to our prediction from early 2017, and is now even trading well below the level from that time.
A low price by any measure combined with two major technical support levels adds confidence to our trade and makes silver a low risk and potentially high reward trade for 2018.
Depending on your own strategy and investment style, you may want to wait for the price to break out from the current triangle pattern it has been trading in for the past year and a half. You would then give up some of the potential return for an even safer trade. After that, major resistance is found around $17.50 and $18, with lots of upside potential if we can finally break through those levels.
Featured image from Pixabay.
- Technical Analysis: Bitcoin Grinds Higher as Records Tumble in Altcoins on
- Technical Analysis: Litecoin Continues Surge as Bitcoin Tests Highs on
- Trade Recommendation: Buy EVHC and EQT on Selling Exhaustion on
- Trade Recommendation: Bitcoin Cash on
- Asian Market Update – Tuesday: Litecoin price skyrockets despite creator’s warning; Asian stocks down on
- A Career in Crypto: How to Work in the World’s Fastest Growing Market December 13, 2017
- Technical Analysis: Bitcoin Grinds Higher as Records Tumble in Altcoins December 13, 2017
- Bitcoin Proxy Shares Rise Following Launch of CBOE Futures Contract December 13, 2017
- Trade Recommendation: Siacoin December 12, 2017
- Trade Recommendation: Buy EVHC and EQT on Selling Exhaustion December 12, 2017
- Will CME and CBOE Change the Course of Bitcoin Trading? December 12, 2017
- Trade Recommendation: Bitcoin Cash December 12, 2017
- Is Bitcoin Stealing Gold’s Luster? December 12, 2017
- Asian Market Update – Tuesday: Litecoin price skyrockets despite creator’s warning; Asian stocks down December 12, 2017
- Is Bitcoin Driving Gold Prices Lower? December 12, 2017
A part of CCN
Analysis3 days ago
Long-Term Cryptocurrency Analysis: Look Out Below?
Altcoins1 week ago
IOTA Doing Big Things as Microsoft Partnership Announced
Recommendations5 days ago
Trade Recommendation: Litecoin
Analysis1 week ago
$100 Litecoin Looks Poised for Greater Upside
Cryptocurrencies1 week ago
Trade Recommendation: Neo
Cryptocurrencies4 days ago
Trade Recommendation: Stellar
Cryptocurrencies3 days ago
Trade Recommendation: Zcash
Cryptocurrencies6 days ago
Trade Recommendation: Siacoin