ICO Analysis: Lightstreams
Lightstreams is a unique blockchain-based network that developed an authorization protocol for protecting privacy and confidential data. Lightstreams’ technology will mainly focus on privacy, confidentiality and scalability for decentralized apps (dApps). A few of Lightstreams’ goals are to see a massive shift toward decentralization and for major growth in the development and use of dApps in our lives.
Some of the hindrances to blockchain adaption is the cost of large data storage and data privacy. Lightstreams has developed a technology that resolves these issues by using a decentralized storage system with unlimited storage capacity at zero cost for content. Also, Lightstreams’ fast processing times while protecting privacy and confidentiality are essential for business use cases and mass adoption. There are many dApp use cases that can be developed on Lightstreams such as legal contracts, personal health records, decentralized elections, data exchanges, content publishing, title management, social media, etc.
Ethereum’s smart contracts are revolutionizing contracts and digital agreements, but the network is hindered by a lack of privacy of shared content. Lightstreams will provide privacy controls for shared content in smart contracts to solve this problem and run on a modified Ethereum stack. Lightstreams can also play an important role in the development and growth of decentralized applications using on chain and decentralized off chain technology for future applications. The benefits of improved storage capacity and speed, removing costs, and having privacy controls will help dApps be a viable choice compared to traditional applications.
Lightstreams uses IPFS technology for uncapped and free data storage and developed an authorization protocol (Permissioned Blocks) utilizing a Distributed Secure Storage Network (DSSN) layer for privacy control. Lightstreams uses Ethereum for smart contracts and Tendermint for Blockchain consensus with a block time of 1 – 3 seconds with instant finality and is (BFT) Byzantine Fault Tolerant.
Lightstreams will have its own native utility token called Photon (PHT) that will be used for paying transaction fees, purchasing digital content and participating in the governance of the network. 165,000,000 PHT are available for sale out of a total of 300,000,000. The price per PHT is $0.15 USD with a hard cap of $20 million USD or 80,000 ETH.
The token Distribution is as follows:
- 55% Token Sale
- 20% Team
- 10% Future Offering
- 8% Advisors, Dev Partners & Seed
- 5% DApp Incentives
- 2% Bug Bounties
Token Sale Proceeds:
- 55.4% Technical Development
- 13.7% Office & Indirect Costs
- 12.0% Marketing & Communications
- 10.6% Accounting & Legal Costs
- 8.0% Event Hosting & Sponsorship
The team and advisors appear solid and capable of bringing the project to fruition. They bring necessary experience in business start-ups, finance, marketing, legal, and blockchain development. A few team members and advisors are listed below.
Michael Smolenski CEO
- Ex-Goldman Sachs Software Engineer
- Blockchain Engineer – MotionWerk
- Founder – Midasium
Nick Brown Business Development
- Formerly CTO – MotionWerk
- Graduate – Cambridge University
Lukas Lukak – Blockchain Engineer
- Technical Lead – Trivago
- Full Stack Software Developer – TiltBook
Dimitri De Jonghe
- Co-Founder & Head of Research – Ocean Protocol
- Blockchain Application Director – BigChainDB
- Co-Chair – Interledger community
- Head of Organization Solutions – Trivago
- Founder & CTO – BuzzPoints
- CTO – Translation Booth
- Member Board of Directors – Cornerstone Capital
- Co-Founder – HigherClick
- Founder & CEO – Altitude Shoes
- OP Lab at OP Financial Group
- Founder – SHUUT App
- Former COO – SportSetter
This is an ambitious project which will have many competitors. Should the team successfully complete every internal goal and objective, the ability to attract dApps to come aboard will be a major determining factor of their success. This is an ICO to keep an eye on to see how things progress and if any partnerships are announced.
- A well-defined roadmap with benchmarks along the way allows investors to get a better understanding of whether a project is on track and exactly where it’s going. Lightstreams’ roadmap is vague and without much substance. -2
- Lightstreams is currently in a private round of fundraising and should have a public sale soon afterward. However, they don’t provide specific information. Savvy investors prefer details such as exact dates, min/max contributions and when to expect tokens. -1.75
- Lightstreams has secured strategic partnerships, which are always a positive in the eyes of investors. Current partners include CoinLab, Byzantine Partners, Invictus Capital and ZeroCap. +3.5
- Having a fairly low market cap helps increase the odds of a higher ROI, especially in the long run. Lightstreams’ hard cap of $20 million USD or 80,000 ETH, whichever comes first, teeters on the lower side. +2.75
- Team members at Lightstreams have had success in past endeavors and seem well qualified to accomplish their objectives. They also are showing commitment to the project by having a 2 year vesting period. +3.75
The team is in place, partnerships have been made, and fundraising is currently underway in order to accomplish the vision of Lightstreams. However, as many investors have learned, success certainly isn’t guaranteed when it comes to investing in ico’s. Recent new blockchain ico’s with similar hard caps have performed rather well out the gate, but their long-term success is yet to be determined. Could Lightstreams be another success story of 2018? In a crowded sea of ever-growing ICOs, it’s definitely one to watch. Lightstreams receives a 6.25 out of 10 rating.
- Symbol: PHT
- Hard cap: $20 Million or 80,000 ETH, whichever is reached first
- Price: 1 PHT = $0.15 USD
- Available for purchase: 165M PHT (55%)
- Total Supply: 300M PHT
- Payments Accepted: ETH
- Token Sale: Currently in private sale to be followed by opening a whitelist for the community to participate in the Token Sale.
- Jurisdictions barred from participating: Afghanistan, Belarus, Bosnia Herzegovina, Burundi, Central African Republic, China, Comoros, Congo, Cuba, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Guinea, Guinea, Haiti, Hong Kong, Iran, Iraq, Israel, Libya, Mali, Myanmar, North Korea, Puerto Rico, Somalia, Sudan, Sudan, Syria, Tunisia, Uganda, United States of America, the Virgin Islands or any other USA possessions, Vietnam, Yemen, Zimbabwe.
For more information regarding Lightstreams
Featured image courtesy of Shutterstock.