A 3D printer called Voxel8, demonstrated at CES 2015, printed the plastic body and metal circuitry of a quadcopter drone, all at once, with the wires actually printed inside the plastic, Fast Company reports in an article titled “The 9 Best Ideas From CES 2015.” The Voxel8 quadcopter reliably powers four motors from 3D printed wires embedded in the quadcopter arms.
The Voxel8 team teamed with Autodesk to create Project Wire, a design tool that provides electronics and 3D printing enthusiasts with the ability to place components, route 3D wires, and output multi-material print data for fabrication. The Autodesk website states:
We have partnered with Voxel8 to enable the fabrication of truly freeform three-dimensional circuits for the first time. We believe future electronic devices will be printed rather than assembled. Fabricated layer-by-layer as a single object, rather than assembled from separate parts. Although 3D printing is often associated with throw-away plastic ‘trinkets’, together with Voxel8 we are looking to make functional printed devices a reality. Today we are starting with electronics by enabling the design of 3D wires embedded in printed models.
3D-Printed Customized Electronic Devices
Desktop 3D printers today are constrained to printing thermoplastics or UV resins. But using Voxel8’s 3D printer, you can rapidly design novel devices with embedded 3D Circuitry, such as 3D printed antennas. Voxel8’s technology permits co-printing matrix materials, such as thermoplastics and highly conductive silver inks, enabling customized electronic devices like quadcopters, electromagnets and fully functional 3D electromechanical assemblies.
Functional materials are at the heart of Voxel8’s core technology, which leverages over a decade of research from the Lewis Group at Harvard University to create highly conductive inks that can be printed at room temperature and seamlessly integrated with a broad array of matrix materials.
The first Voxel8 3D printers will start shipping in late 2015.
Images from Voxel8 and Autodesk.
The 2016 Nobel Prize in Chemistry Vindicates Radical Visions of Molecular Nanotechnology
The Nobel Prize in Chemistry 2016 was awarded jointly to Jean-Pierre Sauvage, Sir J. Fraser Stoddart and Bernard L. Feringa “for the design and synthesis of molecular machines.” The award vindicates the dreams of nanotechnology enthusiasts, and points the way to the molecular nanotechnology proposed by Drexler in the eighties.
Berkeley Lab’s One-Nanometer Transistor Could Keep Electronics On Exponential Growth
Decades ago Intel Co-Founder Gordon Moore observed that the density, degree of miniaturization, and ultimately the performance of electronic components, was doubling every two years.
Nanotechnology Breakthrough: Carbon Nanotubes Outperform Silicon Electronics
University of Wisconsin–Madison materials engineers have created carbon nanotube transistors that, for the first time, outperform state-of-the-art silicon transistors. This breakthrough points the way to future high-performance nanotube electronics.
- Cryptocurrency Analysis: Ripple Continues Rampage...
- Trade Recommendation: Bitcoin
- Trade Recommendation: XMR/BTC Pair Throwback
- Trade Recommendation: FCT/BTC Bullish Reversal
- Trade Recommendation – Waves/BTC
- Technical Analysis: Volatility on the Rise Again...
- Can a New Generation of Regulated Token Sales Save...
- Trade Recommendation – Waves/BTC December 15, 2017
- ICO Analysis: Deepbrain Chain December 15, 2017
- Asian Market Update – Friday: Coins mixed; Asian stocks tumble as investors assess Fed, ECB decisions December 15, 2017
- Cryptocurrency Analysis: Ripple Continues Rampage as Litecoin and Ethereum Enter Correction December 14, 2017
- Trade Recommendation: XMR/BTC Pair Throwback December 14, 2017
- Trade Recommendation: FCT/BTC Bullish Reversal December 14, 2017
- Can a New Generation of Regulated Token Sales Save ICOs? December 14, 2017
- Trade Recommendation: NZDJPY December 14, 2017
- Trade Recommendation: Bitcoin December 14, 2017
- Asian Market Update – Thursday: Ethereum Extends Rally; Asian Stocks down After US Rates Hike December 14, 2017
A part of CCN
Analysis6 days ago
Long-Term Cryptocurrency Analysis: Look Out Below?
Recommendations1 week ago
Trade Recommendation: Litecoin
Cryptocurrencies5 days ago
Trade Recommendation: Zcash
Cryptocurrencies3 days ago
Trade Recommendation: Bitcoin Cash
Cryptocurrencies7 days ago
Trade Recommendation: Stellar
Cryptocurrencies7 days ago
Trade Recommendation: Ethereum Classic
Analysis4 days ago
Technical Analysis: Litecoin Continues Surge as Bitcoin Tests Highs
Cryptocurrencies1 week ago
Trade Recommendation: Neo