I’d like to wish all of our clients in France and Italy a happy Assumption Day. In the financial markets, we try not to make any assumptions but apparently in religion it’s Ok. 😉
eToro, Senior Market Analyst
Please note: All data, figures & graphs are valid as of August 14th. All trading carries risk. Only risk capital you can afford to lose.
They’re calling it a de-escalation but that assumption may be a bit premature. The fact that Donald Trump and Kim Jong Un have not traded spats in the past 48 hours does not mean that the situation is any less tense. However, stocks are climbing again as investors try to buy the dip and so the headlines suggest that investors fears about nuclear war between the two nations are dissipating.
As we’ve mentioned before, the stock market has not been a very accurate gauge of fear in the last few years. Therefore, this may simply be a case of financial journalists trying to determine the narrative according to the market movements instead of the other way around.
Nevertheless, regardless of the apparent problems in the world the markets are indeed expressing less fear at the moment. Gold has come away from her highs and the USDJPY has managed an impressive gain thanks to some good data from Japan.
One asset that doesn’t quite support the move away from safe haven trading is oil. Crude took a significant dive yesterday. Proving, that at least in the energy market, there is still some level of fear.
In this graph we can see all the assets mentioned above. Crude oil is in candlesticks. Notice the build up and let down of gold (green) as investors moved to safety and then away from it. As well, we can see the risk assets USDJPY (blue) and Dow Jones (orange) doing exactly the opposite of gold.
Seeing a blockchain boom is always exciting. To watch any asset move as fast as the cryptos sometimes do is simply a thing of beauty.
Today, bitcoin touched a new all time high of $4,413 before seeing a $220 retracement. The total market cap of all bitcoins in circulation reached an astounding milestone of $70 Billion this morning as BTC continues to lead the crypto market higher.
Bitcoin dominance is now firmly above 50% as consensus forms around the original form of digital money.
Watch out though! As with anything that moves this quickly sharp swings are always a possibility in either direction. The cryptocurrency markets remain the most volatile and risky market mankind has ever seen so please trade with caution.
Though the price movement has not been as impressive as bitcoin, the Ethereum network has been seeing huge success in other areas.
Vitalik Buterin, the founder of Ethereum tweeted this morning that transactions are at an all time high. The tweet that he’s quoting even suggests that this might be a record level of transactions for any blockchain ever.
Of course, that “I believe” statement is still just an assumption until proven right or wrong.
Either way, technical analysis of the Ether token reveals that the price may be finding some sort of stability even if that stability is more like a flag pole in the centre of a tornado.
For now, the range that’s been built is between $200 and $300. We should get confirmation soon enough if this range will hold or if we see another cryptastic breakout.
Let’s have an amazing day ahead!
This content is provided for information and educational purposes only and should not be considered to be investment advice or recommendation.
The outlook presented is a personal opinion of the analyst and does not represent an official position of eToro.
Past performance is not an indication of future results. All trading involves risk; only risk capital you are prepared to lose.
Trade Recommendation: Ride the Next Rally of Bitcoin
The profit taking period that saw the Bitcoin market fall from 19,697 to a low of 13,501 in a matter of a few days is almost up. The market appears to have generated a new higher low and will use that level to make its next move up.
Technical analysis reveals a large reversal pattern in the hourly chart that could signal the end of the correction. In addition, volume has been steadily decreasing. On Coinbase, volume spiked by as much as three times its average value in the hourly chart during the height of selling. In the last seven hours, however, volume has been way below its average indicating that bears have lot ammunition. More importantly, RSI in the hourly chart is far from overbought territory. This gives the market a lot of room to breach resistance at 18,000.
The strategy is to buy the market when it goes above 18,000. With signs of selling exhaustion, bears may not put up much of a fight the next time the pair breaches 18,000 on Coinbase. Also, the market has no stiff resistance above 18,000 so it has a clear path to our target of 22,500.
Hourly Bitcoin Chart on Coinbase
As of the time of writing, Bitcoin is trading at 17,200.
Summary of Strategy
Buy: breach of 18,000
Support: 17,200, 16,800, and 16,450
Stop: Move below 16,450
Disclaimer: The writer owns bitcoin, Ethereum and other cryptocurrencies. He holds investment positions in the coins, but does not engage in short-term or day-trading.
Featured image courtesy of Shutterstock.
Technical Analysis: Bitcoin Grinds Higher as Records Tumble in Altcoins
The historical surge in the segment, which is the second such move this year, continued today, with another round of break-outs in some of the major altcoins and tepid gains for BTC investors. Ethereum, Ripple, Dash, and first and foremost Litecoin was leading the charge, with the recent star LTC topping $300, just after a day of hitting the $200 mark.
Litecoin defied all odds after reaching extremely overbought readings, and the coin rode the speculative wave, turning exponential, not unlike IOTA and Bitcoin previously. With the coin being stretched in an unprecedented way on all time-frames, investors could even consider selling their core positions at the current levels, as a deep correction is almost granted in the coming period. The first meaningful support level is found at $125, and a re-test of the $100 level is probable during the next major correction.
LTC/USD, 4-Hour Chart Analysis
Ripple finally ended a long period of relative weakness today, and the only major on a long-term by signal jumped over primary resistance at $0.26 and crossed the $0.30-$0.32 too in the euphoric sentiment. As the coin is not long-term overbought following the 6-month long consolidation, the buy signal in XRP remains intact, with the only major resistance level being found at the all-time high near $0.425.
XRPUSDT/USD, 4-Hour Chart Analysis
Will CME and CBOE Change the Course of Bitcoin Trading?
There has been a lot of media buzz in the investment world around the introduction of bitcoin futures trading. Two of Chicago’s major firms, namely Chicago Mercantile Exchange (CME Group Inc) and Chicago Board Options Exchange (Cboe), have announced plans for bitcoin futures trading on their respective platforms, with the latter already launching its contract on Sunday. While the main fear regarding future bitcoin trading at this point is price manipulation, investors are skeptical about how the whole situation will pan out.
Fear of Price Manipulation
As mentioned earlier, price manipulation is a big threat to the profitability of bitcoin futures trading. According to the Commodity Futures Trading Commission (CFTC), they will only play the role of a derivatives regulator and not actually manipulate the underlying cash contract. Exchanges will continue to play a major part in handling the underlying cash contract, keeping it safe from the dangers of manipulation. Since the underlying cash market of bitcoin is not regulated, the CFTC has also warned investors about this fact.
Figure 1: Hypothesised Daily Trend of Bitcoin Values
The Role of CBOE and CME in Bitcoins Trading
The CBOE and CME both have been competing to become the market of choice in the United States. CBOE has already rolled out its bitcoin futures contracts, which they call XBT futures, with a limited free trading offer for the rest of the month for its customers. The rival CME group, on the other hand, is scheduled to release their version of hitcoin futures Dec. 18.
These announcements played a pivotal role last week, influencing traders and institutional investors to perform bitcoin futures trading in a more recognized and secure market. The price of a single unit of bitcoin was also affected, jumping from a formidable $10,000 to a new record high of close to $20,000. The main reason for this can be attributed to investors who understand that the exchanges will bring liquidity and price stability on an otherwise unstable and volatile cryptocurrency.
Here are just some of the ways bitcoin futures trading will change the course of bitcoin trading significantly.
- Risk: There’s no denying that bitcoin’s past has been marred by volatile spikes and crashes. Some of these price changes have occurred over a very short period, enabling traders to recover their positions within a short period of time. However, with the introduction of CME and CBOE futures trading, the United States markets might prolong the decline through the “domino” effect of selling futures trading. Moreover, a snowballing effect through selling can affect the entire market. The Futures Industry Association has already stressed on the bitcoin volatility issue and has requested for some form of “guarantee fund” to clear settlements to the community.
- Unstable Exchanges: Besides the CME and CBOE, the majority of bitcoin exchanges in the world come from unregulated markets without proper overseeing or supervision. This is problematic for traders since such exchanges form a reference point in price for the asset. Frequent outages in exchanges are a real threat to bitcoin’s price, often resulting in wild price swings. For instance, Coinbase and IG group, two famous bitcoin exchanges stopped trading on a Friday. As a result, bitcoin’s price shot up and subsequently crashed within 20 minutes.
- Increased Volatility: Futures markets work very differently than commodity markets, which draw in a lot of traders as well as speculators. When it comes to bitcoin, the recent Whipsaw in price is unfavorable for the introduction of new traders in the market at this point.
The increase in speculation surrounding bitcoin price will result in even more price volatility if the number of traders is increased. Many people are of the opinion that the recent parabolic price curves will attract traders with added incentives to play with its price.
- Trading Profits: The aspect of trading profits becomes more complicated with the CME’s contract rules. CME’s contracts have price limits which are 20% above or below bitcoin’s reference price. This is done in order to curb unpredictability and regulate volatility. The sole purpose of these price limits is to minimize the adverse impact of the cryptocurrrency’s wild price swings on futures markets.
Economists, however, have stated that this might result in an opposite effect, where the trader’s profits are compromised significantly. This is due to the fact that the reference price of the whole bitcoin market is based on exchanges, which are largely operational in unregulated markets. Such unregulated markets see frequent price swings in excess of 20%. This directly results in futures traders who will no longer benefit from the spike of a greater than 20% increase in bitcoin prices, at the aforementioned exchanges.
Side Effects of Bitcoin Futures Trading on the Market
The bitcoin market is poised to receive institutional money as a result of futures trading. It will also open up various avenues of asset investment, as many funds that are currently prohibited from dealing in bitcoin-like alternative assets will also be able to participate in the trading exercise.
This, however, can be a major problem, as investors won’t actually be pouring their funds into the bitcoin market, but rather acquire synthetic derivates instead. No extra money goes into bitcoin itself, as these futures do not require ownership of actually bitcoins.
The introduction of bitcoin futures trading in two major firms is definitely a blessing as well as a curse. Both exchanges are seeking to exploit bitcoin’s popularity by attracting interest from Wall Street. Institutional investors have also been keen to trade the asset in a more recognized and regulated environment, which have also seen the increase in CME/CBOE shares by at least 9%. Normal traders are also required to pay higher than normal accounts to backstop their bitcoin trades and allow continued funding for their trade positions. However, it still boils down to the trader’s decision and his or her understanding of the movement of the bitcoin markets, which have in the past experienced significant and unpredictable volatility.
Featured image courtesy of Shutterstock.
- Ripple Spikes 50% as Bitcoin Lifts Smaller Altcoin...
- Trade Recommendation: Siacoin
- Trade Recommendation: Bitcoin Cash
- Technical Analysis: Bitcoin Grinds Higher as Recor...
- What’s Behind the Cryptosurge
- Trade Recommendation: ETC/BTC Pair Bottoming Out
- Altcoin Investing Strategy as Futures Hit the Mark...
- Trump’s Proposed Tax Changes Could Impact Cryptocurrency Investors December 13, 2017
- Trade Recommendation: Syscoin December 13, 2017
- Trade Recommendation: Ride the Next Rally of Bitcoin December 13, 2017
- Ethereum Just Broke $700 for the First Time December 13, 2017
- Trade Recommendation: ETC/BTC Pair Bottoming Out December 13, 2017
- Trade Recommendation: USDJPY December 13, 2017
- What’s Behind the Cryptosurge December 13, 2017
- Marijuana Stocks Continue to Grow Ahead of California’s Planned Legalization December 13, 2017
- Asian Market Update – Wednesday: Coins fall back after strong rally; Asian stocks mixed ahead of Fed decision December 13, 2017
- ICO Analysis: The Game Machine December 13, 2017
A part of CCN
Analysis4 days ago
Long-Term Cryptocurrency Analysis: Look Out Below?
Recommendations5 days ago
Trade Recommendation: Litecoin
Analysis1 week ago
$100 Litecoin Looks Poised for Greater Upside
Cryptocurrencies1 week ago
Trade Recommendation: Neo
Cryptocurrencies3 days ago
Trade Recommendation: Zcash
Cryptocurrencies5 days ago
Trade Recommendation: Stellar
Cryptocurrencies1 day ago
Trade Recommendation: Bitcoin Cash
Cryptocurrencies5 days ago
Trade Recommendation: Ethereum Classic