Scientists and SETI (Search for Extra Terrestrial Intelligence) enthusiasts are speculating on the possible presence of an alien super-civilization around the star KIC 8462852, located in the constellation Cygnus at approximately 1,481 light years from the Earth. Now, SETI scientists have started using the Allen Telescope Array (ATA) to hunt for signals from the star, Space.com reports.
According to a theoretical study published yesterday in Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society, only about 8% of habitable planets existed at the birth of our solar system, leaving 92% to form over the coming millennia.
Far-fetched as it may seem, the scientists responsible for the report stand behind their reasoning. Speaking to the Global Post, Peter Behroozi, an author of the study, said, “Our main motivation was understanding the Earth’s place in the context of the rest of the universe. Compared to all the planets that will ever form in the universe, the Earth is actually quite early.”
The study’s scientists developed a “family photo” album of [...]
A distant star whose observed brightness fluctuates in ways that are difficult to explain has scientists and SETI (Search for Extra Terrestrial Intelligence) enthusiasts openly talking about a possible artificial origin of the star’s luminosity fluctuations. The data are compatible with the possible presence of an alien super-civilization around the star KIC 8462852, located in the constellation Cygnus at approximately 1,481 light years from the Earth.
British cosmologist and astrophysicist Martin Rees believes that machines powered by Artificial Intelligence (AI) will inherit the Earth – and the stars. He is also persuaded that advanced aliens could be inconceivably different from life as we know it, as different from us as we are from a bacterium.