NASA Begins Accepting Astronaut Applications Online
Want to follow through on that childhood dream of being an astronaut? It’s your lucky day. NASA has just posted what may conceivably be the most interesting job
posting ever and you can apply to be an astronaut, online.
NASA has revealed a job posting that announced it is accepting a new class of astronauts with online applications permissible as of today, December 14.
The position would be a full-time job, of course, and following a training and evaluation period of 2 years, astronaut candidates may fly on any one or more of four different U.S. spacecraft in their careers including:
- The International Space Station (ISS)
- Two new commercial spacecraft manufactured by U.S. companies
- Orion, NASA’s deep-space exploration vehicle.
The complete job posting can be found here.
Unsurprisingly, the required qualifications are rather strict for someone to be shot up to space. Read on, if you see yourself donning a spacesuit. To quality, you have to:
- Have a Bachelor’s degree in engineering, biology, physics, computer science or mathematics. (Those with degrees in Nursing, Medical Technology, Social Sciences etc aren’t considered qualifying criteria.)
- 3 years of professional experience following degree graduation or at least 1,000 hours of pilot-in-command time in jet aircraft. Teaching experience also qualifies.
- Have 20/20 vision, glasses are allowed.
- Be able to fit in a spacesuit. (They can squeeze in humans between 5 feet 2 inches & 6 feet 3 inches.
Some of the duties you will be tasked with if you make it through the rigorous training and selection process includes:
- Development and testing of future aircraft.
- Training for and conducting different operations in space, including the International Space Station and Russia’s Soyuz spacecraft.
- Long term missions that may last between three to six months on board ISS.
- Extensive travelling during training including training programmes all over the world with NASA’s international partners.
In a press release, former astronaut and current NASA administrator Charles Bolden said:
NASA is on an ambitious journey to Mars and we’re looking for talented men and women from diverse backgrounds and every walk of life to help get us there.
Today, we opened the application process for our next class of astronauts, extraordinary Americans who will take the next giant leap in exploration. This group will launch to space from U.S. soil on American-made spacecraft and blaze the trail on our journey to the Red Planet.
If you’re still reading, you’re obviously interested and Hacked recommends visiting Reddit’s Ask Me Anything subreddit wherein astronaut Shannon Walker and astronaut selection manager Anne Roemer will take questions about the job, the application and the selection process at 4 PM EST today.
Featured image from Shutterstock.