The ancient mountain and global tourist destination has been offline for most of eternity, but now visiting climbers will be able to check their e-mail while on their way to the summit.
One of the hot spots will also be at the summit, 12,388 feet in the air. This will enable a whole new kind of digital tourism, where people want to check in from the summit of Mount Fuji on Facebook and the like.
There are also, certainly, some safety implications made by having this capability throughout the mountain. The co-ordination of rescue efforts might be better conducted, and weather updates can be passed more quickly to hikers. Potentially, tourists could even live stream parts of their treks up the massive natural wonder.
A local telecommunications company called NTT Docomo has partnered with the government to provide the free wi-fi service, which expires three days after activation. It is unclear, but it would make sense if this wi-fi then cost the user. This would not negatively impact the tourist industry since most people would not try to use the service for more than three days in any case.
According to one Japanese source, as many as 300,000 people try to climb Mt. Fuji every year. It is unclear whether data is kept on those that succeed, but it would seem that everyone who even visits the site would find some use in being able to communicate with others about it. For those with cellular companies that don’t work in the area, the service could enable voice-over-IP calling with programs like Skype.
Images from Pixabay.
San Bernadino iPhone Case: Major Press Agencies Are Suing the FBI
The Associated Press, Gannett, and VICE Media are suing the FBI to know more details about the agency’s hack of the San Bernadino killer’s iPhone.
Toward Unbreakable Quantum Encryption for Everyone
Hacked recently covered the efforts of the Chinese government to build unbreakable quantum communication networks. According to analysts, quantum communications networks are so expensive that they could have a “recentralizing effect,” enabling states to recover the ground that they have lost to decentralizing digital technologies. But what if ultra-secure quantum cryptography could be made available to everyone at low cost?
The Chinese Quantum Satellite QUESS: Toward Unbreakable Quantum Networks
One year ago Hacked covered the race between the US and China to develop “military super-powers” by harnessing quantum science, and noted that Chinese scientists were developing quantum communication satellites that support unbreakable encryption. A few weeks ago, China launched its first quantum satellite.
- Bitcoin Futures Officially Launch on CBOE
- Bitcoin Plunges $2,000 on Eve of Futures Contract
- Trade Recommendation: Stellar
- Ethereum’s Pullback from Record Territory Co...
- Technical Analysis: Litecoin Continues Surge as Bi...
- Trade Recommendation: Zcash
- Asian Market Update – Monday: Bitcoin surges after...
- Monero Forges Ahead as Prices Cross $290 December 12, 2017
- Ethereum Flirts With Record Highs as Buterin Compares Crypto Surge to Salvator Mundi Auction December 12, 2017
- Altcoin Investing Strategy as Futures Hit the Market December 12, 2017
- Companies are Lining Up to Launch Bitcoin ETF, According to SEC December 12, 2017
- Technical Analysis: Litecoin Continues Surge as Bitcoin Tests Highs December 11, 2017
- Trade Recommendation: Ride ETN and EW on Breakout December 11, 2017
- Trade Recommendation: Buy BBY, ZNH, CLX, and USCR December 11, 2017
- Power Consumption for Bitcoin Mining Is Now Ranked 61st in the World December 11, 2017
- Trade Recommendation: USDCHF December 11, 2017
- ICO Analysis: Gimmer Token December 11, 2017
A part of CCN
Analysis1 week ago
Long-Term Cryptocurrency Analysis: A Major Top Could Be In
Altcoins1 week ago
IOTA Doing Big Things as Microsoft Partnership Announced
Recommendations4 days ago
Trade Recommendation: Litecoin
Analysis2 days ago
Long-Term Cryptocurrency Analysis: Look Out Below?
Cryptocurrencies1 week ago
Trade Recommendation: Neo
Analysis7 days ago
$100 Litecoin Looks Poised for Greater Upside
Cryptocurrencies1 week ago
Trade Recommendation: Zcash
Cryptocurrencies3 days ago
Trade Recommendation: Stellar