Connect with us

Entertainment

Megaupload Creator Dotcom Can Be Extradited To U.S., New Zealand Court Rules

Published

on

Internet entrepreneur Kim Dotcom can be extradited to the U.S. where he faces charges of money laundering, copyright infringement and racketeering, a New Zealand court has ruled, the BBC reported. Dotcom said he will appeal the ruling.

// -- Discuss and ask questions in our community on Workplace. Don't have an account? Send Jonas Borchgrevink an email -- //

Doctom founded Megaupload, a now-defunct website, which allowed millions of people to download songs and movies. The website cost record firms and film studios more than $500 million (£322m).

Dotcom claims he is not responsible for the copyright infringement.

Three other men who co-founded the site and face similar charges have also been ruled as eligible for extradition.

// -- Become a yearly Platinum Member and save 69 USD and get access to our secret group on Workplace. Click here to change your current membership -- //

Dotcom In New Zealand Since 2010

Born Kim Schmitz, the 39-year-old Dotcom has been living in New Zealand since 2010 after being granted residency in that country. He launched the file-sharing site in Hong Kong in 2005.

U.S. authorities shuttered the site in January 2012 and charged Dotcom with money laundering, racketeering and copyright infringement.

The U.S. government began extradition proceedings and New Zealand police raided Dotcom’s home at the FBI’s request.

Extradition hearings began in September of 2015 in Auckland, New Zealand.

Judge Nevin Dawson said the U.S. has a lot of evidence supporting its case, and the defendants fell short of undermining the case, according to Stuff.

Also read: Kim Dotcom talks about Meganet, his blockchain-based P2P Internet

Dotcom To Continue His Fight

Dotcom thanked supporters on Twitter and noted he will continue his fight. Ira Rothken, a member of Dotcom’s legal team, tweeted that the team looks forward to having the extradition request reviewed by the High Court. He said justice has not been served.

Dotcom told The New Zealand Herald that he plans to sue the Hong Kong justice department for more than $2 billion for shuttering his site. A Hong Kong court earlier this month allowed him to access some frozen assets.

Dotcom said he can retaliate in Hong Kong against those who destroyed what he built. He also said he can indirectly sue the U.S. government by suing the Hong Kong Department of Justice.

Featured image from Wikimedia.

Important: Never invest money you can't afford to lose. Always do your own research and due diligence before placing a trade. Read our Terms & Conditions here.



Feedback or Requests?

1 Comment

1 Comment

  1. englishvinal

    December 23, 2015 at 9:01 pm

    What a load of fetid you-know-what~!!!! The United States just keeps on keeping ON.. brutalizing creative people and making enemies around the globe.
    What are these jackals going to DO when the MONEY runs out to pay the zombies in the uniforms on the 800+ military bases scattered around the world…. and the clout of invasive punishment and/or economic pain from the US government has waned?

    Suppose the erst-while cowards called “allies” will act differently? It is coming on fast…. money talks and BS walks.

You must be logged in to post a comment Login

Leave a Reply

Entertainment

Eidoo Ethereum Wallet Takes Out Full Page Ad in WSJ to Troll J.P. Morgan

Published

on

A Swiss-based Ethereum startup has taken out a full-page ad in The Wall Street Journal to troll J.P. Morgan Chase CEO Jamie Dimon, who only last month called cryptocurrency a “fraud.”

// -- Discuss and ask questions in our community on Workplace. Don't have an account? Send Jonas Borchgrevink an email -- //

Eidoo Launches Digital Wallet

Eidoo took out the ad on Wednesday, the same day it launched its digital currency wallet for users of Ethereum, the world’s second-largest cryptocurrency by market cap. The company also plans to launch a debit card allowing people to spend ether and bitcoin.

The WSJ ad, which is a clear PR stunt ahead of the company’s launch, reads: “Maybe Jamie will fire you. But, you’ll be free to trade in the crypto-world.”

J.P. executive Jamie Dimon came under fire last month after declaring bitcoin a fraud. It later came to light that the Wall Street bank is trading bitcoin for clients.

// -- Become a yearly Platinum Member and save 69 USD and get access to our secret group on Workplace. Click here to change your current membership -- //

“It’s worse than tulip bulbs. It won’t end well. Someone is going to get killed,” Dimon said at a conference hosted Barclays. “Currencies have legal support. It will blow up.”

Dimon’s criticism was ill timed, and not just because his firm was facilitating cryptocurrency transactions. Well-known figures on Wall Street and beyond are starting to embrac blockchain technology. Chief among them is Goldman Sachs, which recently announced that it i considering a bitcoin trading operation.

Morgan Stanley CEO recently said cryptocurrency is “more than just a fad,” but didn’t disclose any plans to launch a trading operation. Like other banks? Morgan Stanley is exploring the potential of blockchain applications.

Cryptocurrency Market Regains Momentum

After a volatile month of September, the cryptocurrency asset class is once again attracting strong bids. The total market cap for all digital currencies is approaching $155 billion, with bitcoin accounting for more than half the total.

Ethereum briefly traded above $310 before paring gains all the way back down to $300 where it currently sits.

Digital currency wallets like Eidoo have grown in popularity as investors look to safeguard their tokens from cyber breaches.

Important: Never invest money you can't afford to lose. Always do your own research and due diligence before placing a trade. Read our Terms & Conditions here.



Feedback or Requests?

Continue Reading

Entertainment

Apple CEO Tim Cook Wants Augmented and Virtual Reality Tech to “Encourage” Human Contact

Published

on

So far, Apple has been the slowest of the big boys to getting an augmented or virtual reality product to market. The company’s iPhone is the single most popular smart phone on the planet and its computer products enjoy relative popularity (in early 2014, they were almost 9% of the market, a quadrupling from turn-of-the-century numbers). On a trip to Tokyo this week, CEO Tim Cook told BuzzFeed that he believes there is “no substitute for human contact. And so you want the technology to encourage that.”

// -- Discuss and ask questions in our community on Workplace. Don't have an account? Send Jonas Borchgrevink an email -- //

Tim Cook

Cook also said he thinks augmented reality can be “huge.” And if the numbers from the recent phenomenon of Pokémon Go are any indication, he’s absolutely right. Apple’s various platforms add up to a big opportunity, but their phones in particular could pave the way for the company making a serious play in the augmented and virtual reality space.

In many ways, modern humans are already experiencing many of the things previously only dreamed of in science fiction. One can walk down the street and have a video call with someone a thousand miles away. Perhaps the next step on this path will be the spectre of hologram calls. Back in 2013, Skype told the BBC that it was already capable of as much. Apple would certainly make waves if it were the first major platform to make this Star Wars-esque technology an everyday reality.

// -- Become a yearly Platinum Member and save 69 USD and get access to our secret group on Workplace. Click here to change your current membership -- //

Other potential exists on the hologram front. Video entertainment and gaming could reach a whole new level. The Apple TV is one of the less successful ventures the company has ever launched, but the advent of holographic television shows taking place in one’s living room might revive interest.

Apple store logo sign

Apple has made a number of acquisitions that point in the direction of holographic, augmented, and virtual reality technology. The company which created the original Microsoft Xbox Kinect sensors, PrimeSense, is now owned by Apple, along with Faceshift, who provided real-time motion capturing for Star Wars productions. The two main reasons to acquire a company are either to stop it from competing with you or to make use of its assets, and Apple presently has no major dog in the augmented reality/virtual reality fight. Therefore, it’s safe to assume that somewhere in Cupertino, someone is working on something for the future.

Cook also said that he doesn’t think virtual reality is as “broad-based” as augmented reality. The company has been in meetings with immersive technology companies such as Jaunt, a company which makes films compatible with virtual reality technology. Cook seems most interested in the communication aspect of AR and VR, saying that conversations could be made more productive.

I think that things like these are better when they’re incorporated without becoming a barrier to our talking. You want the technology to amplify it, not to be a barrier.

Perhaps Cook, like many, fears a future of people walking around with helmets, totally immune to their surroundings, and would rather find ways to boost traditional communication and technological capabilities. More of a Google Glass than an Oculus approach to the thing, as it were. In any case, it does seem that virtual reality, augmented reality, and even holographic communications are just around the bend for consumers.

It’s important to remember that just a decade ago, a smart phone in every pocket was hard to imagine, so the rise of these technologies could happen faster than anyone expects. The success of Pokémon Go was only a preview of things to come.

Images from Shutterstock.

Important: Never invest money you can't afford to lose. Always do your own research and due diligence before placing a trade. Read our Terms & Conditions here.



Feedback or Requests?

Continue Reading

Entertainment

KickassTorrents Domains Seized, Alleged Owner Arrested

Published

on

 The world’s largest torrent website has been seized, with its alleged founder arrested by US authorities, in what is a comprehensive blow to the domain and the wider torrenting community.

// -- Discuss and ask questions in our community on Workplace. Don't have an account? Send Jonas Borchgrevink an email -- //

Artem Vaulin, a 30-year-old Ukrainian national and the alleged owner of KickassTorrents, the largest torrent website in the world was arrested in Poland yesterday. The US Government is seeking his extradition.

Following his arrest, US authorities have charged Vaulin with criminal copyright infringement and have seized multiple domain names associated with the website.

The complete list of charges are:

// -- Become a yearly Platinum Member and save 69 USD and get access to our secret group on Workplace. Click here to change your current membership -- //
  • One count of conspiracy to commit criminal copyright infringement
  • One count of conspiracy to commit money laundering
  • Two counts of criminal copyright infringement

Assistant Attorney General Leslie R.Caldwell made the announcement, revealing that Vaulin had set up servers in multiple locations around the world and moved his domains several times due to several law enforcement seizures and lawsuits.

He stated:

Vaulin is charged with running today’s most illegal file-sharing website, responsible for unlawfully distributing well over $1 billion of copyrighted materials.

The criminal complaint against Vaulin alleges some intriguing numbers behind the world’s most popular torrent website.

  • The website gained over 50 million unique visitors per month.
  • It was also the 69th most frequently visited website on the internet
  • Its net worth is estimated at over $54 million.
  • Its annual advertising revenue was in the range of $12.5 million to $22.3 million.
  • The website operated in nearly 28 languages.

Furthermore, the website was already ordered to be blocked by courts in various countries including the United Kingdom, Italy, Denmark, Belgium and Malaysia, the complaint alleged.

As things stand, KickassTorrents and a number of its domains, all of which can be found in its very own server-status page, are all offline and unreachable.

The arrest and the subsequent takedown is certain to leave a void in the torrent community, as KickassTorrents was even bigger in the popularity stakes than the Pirate Bay.

Featured image from Shutterstock.

Important: Never invest money you can't afford to lose. Always do your own research and due diligence before placing a trade. Read our Terms & Conditions here.



Feedback or Requests?

Continue Reading

Trending