The controversial Mars One foundation claims that it will establish a permanent human settlement on Mars on the cheap, integrating core technologies that are readily available from industry today. Mars One is persuaded that the mission will captivate and inspire this generation and generations to come, and public interest will help finance Mars One.
When Mars One was first announced back in 2012, many people (this writer included) suspected that the project was meant as a scam from day one, the real business plan being to grab some cash and go. The initial plan was to fund the mission by making it a 24/7 reality TV show inspired by Big Brother. We would watch every little and perhaps sordid detail of the colonists’ lives in the “biggest media spectacle in history.”
Colonists for the Biggest Media Spectacle on Mars
The idea to fund space exploration with a reality show is deliciously irreverent, and fun. The Mars One team understood that space narratives can only capture public enthusiasm if they are stories of people – the core idea is that space must move from the “serious” press that nobody reads to the gossip press that everyone reads. Though the project is still suspected to be a scam, that core idea is good.
When the negotiations with Big Brother producer Endemol stalled earlier this year, Bas Lansdorp, co-founder and CEO of Mars One, said that while there would be footage of the colonists’ life on Mars, we wouldn’t watch them live, including their deaths. “It’s not going to be Big Brother on Mars. Just like the Olympics, we watch highlights, we don’t watch things that athletes do when they’re not performing their abilities,” he said.
It’s going to be the most exciting story of all time.
The bit about death underlines a very controversial feature of the project: the colonists will stay on Mars. They will never come back to Earth. Despite that, thousands of people worldwide have paid to submit their applications. About a hundred candidates have been selected to compete in the final selection process.
Now, Mars One has presented the initial conceptual design of the Surface Habitat Environmental Control and Life Support Systems (ECLSS) developed by Paragon Space Development Corporation for the colonists’ permanent home on Mars.
The ECLSS has been designed with specific focus on simplicity, redundancy, reliability, and maintainability. The conceptual design has identified an architecture with local resources supplying most of the consumable needs of the Mars One outpost. The ECLSS will provide air and water within the habitat, produced using local Martian resources. This process is vital to the long term goal of self-sufficiency for humans on Mars, says the announcement. Another post discloses more technical details and states that Mars One will make use of this study to update its mission of establishing a permanent human settlement on Mars.
According to current plans, after preliminary robotic missions, the first Mars One crew of four colonists is scheduled to take off in 2026 and land in 2027.
Images from Mars One and Wikimedia Commons.
NASA Scientists Sketch Tentative Theory of EmDrive Propulsion
Last week the final version of the NASA Eagleworks EmDrive paper, titled “Measurement of Impulsive Thrust from a Closed Radio-Frequency Cavity in Vacuum,” published in the American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics (AIAA)’s prestigious Journal of Propulsion and Power, described promising experimental results and hinted at possible theoretical models.
Final NASA Eagleworks Paper Confirms Promising EmDrive Results, Proposes Theoretical Model
Earlier this month Hacked reported that a draft version of the much expected EmDrive paper by the NASA Eagleworks team, had been leaked. Now, the final version of the paper has been published.
What to Expect for Space and Sci/Tech Under President Trump?
US President-elect Donald Trump doesn’t strike as one who knows – or cares – a lot about space, science, and technology. Since the announcement of Trump’s victory, there have been a lot of headlines about a possible catastrophic impact of the upcoming Trump presidency on space and sci/tech in the US. However, a smart businessman – and Trump is one – knows that he must have competent advisers for issues on which he is ignorant, or uninterested.
- Trade Recommendation: Buy EVHC and EQT on Selling Exhaustion on
- Trade Recommendation: Bitcoin Cash on
- Asian Market Update – Tuesday: Litecoin price skyrockets despite creator’s warning; Asian stocks down on
- Trade Recommendation: Bitcoin Cash on
- Technical Analysis: Litecoin Continues Surge as Bitcoin Tests Highs on
- Asian Market Update – Tuesday: Litecoin price skyr...
- Technical Analysis: Litecoin Continues Surge as Bi...
- Trade Recommendation: Bitcoin Cash
- Ethereum Flirts With Record Highs as Buterin Compa...
- Monero Forges Ahead as Prices Cross $290
- Is Bitcoin Driving Gold Prices Lower?
- Trade Recommendation: Stellar
- Trade Recommendation: Siacoin December 12, 2017
- Trade Recommendation: Buy EVHC and EQT on Selling Exhaustion December 12, 2017
- Will CME and CBOE Change the Course of Bitcoin Trading? December 12, 2017
- Trade Recommendation: Bitcoin Cash December 12, 2017
- Is Bitcoin Stealing Gold’s Luster? December 12, 2017
- Asian Market Update – Tuesday: Litecoin price skyrockets despite creator’s warning; Asian stocks down December 12, 2017
- Is Bitcoin Driving Gold Prices Lower? December 12, 2017
- Monero Forges Ahead as Prices Cross $290 December 12, 2017
- Ethereum Flirts With Record Highs as Buterin Compares Crypto Surge to Salvator Mundi Auction December 12, 2017
- Altcoin Investing Strategy as Futures Hit the Market December 12, 2017
A part of CCN
Altcoins1 week ago
IOTA Doing Big Things as Microsoft Partnership Announced
Analysis3 days ago
Long-Term Cryptocurrency Analysis: Look Out Below?
Recommendations4 days ago
Trade Recommendation: Litecoin
Analysis1 week ago
$100 Litecoin Looks Poised for Greater Upside
Cryptocurrencies1 week ago
Trade Recommendation: Neo
Cryptocurrencies4 days ago
Trade Recommendation: Stellar
Cryptocurrencies2 days ago
Trade Recommendation: Zcash
Cryptocurrencies6 days ago
Trade Recommendation: Siacoin