ICO Analysis: Fieldcoin
Fieldcoin is an agribusiness crowdfunding platform that enables anyone to buy, sell, rent, and manage farmland from anywhere in the world. Using IoT, smart contracts, and other agribusiness technology, token holders will form a DAC (Decentralised Autonomous Community) and vote on every aspect of their chosen agribusiness from seed to table.
“Fieldcoin’s mission is to bring the blockchain technology to land property transactions and agricultural crowdfunding projects while creating a stable transaction instrument easing the process of land and agribusiness acquisition.”
Fieldcoin will offer access to LANDS Management Services. Investors will be able to buy/sell/manage physical land of different sizes and budgets at an attractive price compared to the market value.
The company claims to:
- Brings liquidity to the agricultural industry
- The token is backed by land.
- Decentralize the highly centralized agriculture market
- Track the origin of food products.
- Manage the way the food is grown (pesticides or organic)
Along with the above highlights, Fieldcoin’s “trade-back token” guarantees an 80% ratio on the value of your token to the assets in the ecosystem and the possibility of claiming your assets in physical property at a certain rate under the market price.
In the Fieldcoin ecosystem, there are 2 levels of ownership: “Off-chain,” which is to comply with national regulations and “On-chain,” which is recorded and transacted on the blockchain.
- Off-chain: Fieldcoin Ltd or a third party company DAO (decentralized autonomous organization) owns the property titles recorded in the national land registry. The token holder owns a share of the company representing the specific land acquired on the platform.
- On-chain: Fieldcoin Ltd creates a unique token with a unique number representing a specific property called LANDS (ERC721). The LANDS token represents the ownership of the property and can be exchanged on the Fieldcoin platform using the Blockchain.
The FCO will start April 2nd, 2019.
FCO means Field Coin Offering. It’s like any ICO, users buy (FLC) ERC20 Utility tokens which are used to acquire non-fungible tokens (ERC721), which represent a particular agricultural property. “The acquisition of NFT tokens during the ICO makes the Field Coin Offering unique and offers a strong advantage to investors that are able to test the platform and own tangible assets during the Coin Offering.”
FLC is an ERC20-based utility token distributed during the FCO. The token is used as a currency to buy land, services and crowdfund agricultural projects on the platform.
LANDS is an ERC721-based token received after buying a specific land property through our platform, representing land ownership and storing the data of your property. LANDS are also available for purchase during the FCO.
According to the company, trade-back token is “Token holders will buy land on Fieldcoin’s platform and pay the full market price displayed on the website. They will be credited with a coupon to buy land for later purchases. The value of the voucher corresponds to the difference between the price drop of the token under the 80% threshold and the actual value of assets in Fieldcoin’s Ecosystem. The coupon can be applied to available properties sold by Fieldcoin Ltd on the platform.”
- Private Sale 2%
- FCO 60%
- Token Bonuses 17%
- Reserves 10%
- Team 9%
- Bounty 2%
Allocation of funds:
- 60% Purchase of Physical Land
- 15% Agribusiness Development
- 10% IT
- 7% Legal
- 6% Marketing
- 1% Reserve Fund
- 1% Social and Rural Development
Ecosystem asset reallocation:
- 85% Land Recapitalization
- 9% Business Operations
- 5% IT Development
- 1% Participation in Communities
The Fieldcoin project is governed and supervised by Fieldcoin Ltd, registered in London. The team members are from France, Canada, USA, India, Belgium, Italy, the UK, Pakistan and China. There are over 25 team members including the advisors.
Marc Couzic is the Founder/CEO. He is a freelance commodities and crypto trader since 2013 and has been a “Contributor” to 3 blockchain projects this past year; Experty.io, Kart Block, and Magna Numeris.
Alexandre Palubniak is a Web Project Manager from France. He has spent 7 years as a freelance “Director Artistique”.
Jeremie Joncas is a COO from Canada but there is not much info on him. He owned a business for 4 years called J2 Entretien (but can’t find any info in it). He’s traded crypto for the last 1.5 years.
The rest of the team is similar to the above – very little experience in agriculture or blockchain.
There are also 10 Contributors/Advisors. They are average.
When describing the benefits of Fieldcoin in Telegram, CEO Marc Couzic had this to say, among other things.
“Yes, it is a share profit system where 40% of net profits on production goes to the externalized land management company or farmer (choosen by Fieldcoin) exploiting the land and 60% to the owner. The holder of LANDS tokens won’t need to do a thing besides participating in decision concerning the type of crops and agricultural method used on its land. The idea is to levy the burden of execution for the investor and move towards agricultural automation processes. Additionally, the price of land grow on average 2-3% worldwide”
The idea of Fieldcoin is to have Decentralized Autonomous Communities that will decide on the agriculture products and management of their lands. They will vote on things like the amount of pesticides used, or if they want pure organic or reasonable agriculture.
The problem is DACs are complicated. Billion-dollar projects like Ethereum and EOS are still developing the tools to perfect them. Does Team Fieldcoin even have the ability to execute this massive project? It seems iffy, as they are fast approaching on the pre-sale and do not have an MVP. They only have this picture of one.
- Small soft cap of just $3 million USD. According to the company: “the Proof of Concept can only be implemented once the FCO has reached $5 million USD. In the event of the cap not being reached, the Proof of Concept will be postponed.” This is sketchy. -1
- The team is not very impressive at all. -2
- Their business plan requires the minting of new Fieldcoin tokens to buy more land. They explain the process in detail here. -1
- Only 13% of the funds raised will go to legal and marketing. -1
- DACs are complicated. Many top projects are delaying launch until they figure out governance. -2
- First mover advantage. +2
- They say they’ve already purchased land, have buying promises and about 35 offers to be displayed. +2
- 85% of the Ecosystem asset reallocation is reserved for new land acquisitions further expanding the Ecosystem.+2
- “Fieldcoin plans to target low-risk and average potential markets first, such as the countries within the European Union, and will then move slowly to countries with more venture capital and with much higher expected returns for Fieldcoin’s Ecosystem.”+1.5
- 1% of the Fieldcoin tokens will be allocated to the Fieldcoin Foundation, which aims to develop community infrastructure. This project includes plans to build schools, water wells, irrigation systems, and roads.+2
- “The Fieldcoin token is supported by “Trade-Back Protocol”, offering token holders the possibility to claim LANDS at a reduced price in case of market dips. Thanks to our upward trend capitalization mechanism, new physical lands will be acquired by Fieldcoin Ltd. increasing the guarantee of the Trade Back Protocol.”+2
- Although we don’t score Fieldcoin well, these “respected” ICO sites have them ranked rather high. +0.5
The tools required to build a proper DAC voting system are only now being built. Although something similar to this DAC agribusiness will someday soon be a reality, this project is too early and too ambitious, especially with such an inexperienced team. 5/10
- Symbol: FLC (ERC20) LANDS (ERC721)
- Platform: Ethereum
- Total Supply: 1 billion
- Presale: Feb 4 – Feb 12, 2019 (100% bonus, 1 million USD worth of tokens available)
- Price: 1 FLC = $0.05
- FCO (Field Coin Offering) Start date: April 2nd 2019.
- Hard Cap: $31 million
- Soft Cap: $3 million
- Telegram: https://t.me/fieldcoin
- Website: https://www.fieldcoin.io/
- Barred Jurisdictions: USA and China
All unsold tokens will be burned.
Featured image courtesy of Shutterstock.